Monday, September 15, 2014

Finished--Well, Almost

Hello again. The Lafayette is almost done. I need to do a little more work around the front door. I ran into some problems with getting the door molding to fit. I was able to get molding fit around the kitchen window perfectly, but the living room window gave me problems and the molding ended up crocked. I mitered cut the molding for the door, but for some reason I cannot get the pieces sized so that they fit. So I gave up. That's why you see bits of blue painter's tape still holding the pieces in place. So here it is:





I really am pleased with my first attempt. I have to remind myself that this was a restoration, so as in any remodel job unless you are working with a true professional, some things just do not turn out perfectly. But for the most part, I am satisfied with my results. The house sits on a little table in front of a basement window that gets ample afternoon sunshine, so the girls can have  afternoon tea with sun shining through the window.



I haven't decided if the little mermaid is sad or tired. I am sure that she misses the sea.



I used the small Mattel bathroom fixtures though they are out of scale, but they fit better than the larger bathroom set that I have. I do like the room screen. It turned out so well.



Downstairs Jaya entertains her kitty friend. 



 I decided to add the room divider to give the house more wall space and definition. I need to finish the wall on both sides. I will add a chair rail on the living room side. On the kitchen side, I need to paint and add wallpaper. I am out of the paper I used in the kitchen so I am waiting to get to a dollhouse store in Denver to see what sort of selection it has. I am in no hurry.




Dollhouses are very hard to photograph. Getting exposure, lighting, and focus are very hard. I have found that my iPhone works nicely for closeups. For today's post, however, I used my Canon DSR with the 75-300mm lens with the flash on and the available sunlight providing back lighting.


So now I am working on the Alpine Farm House. I have the first coat of paint on the outside, the windows and doors painted and fitted in the walls. I have been reading and studying on how to add the wiring using a tape system. I will glue it together first then add the wiring. Right now I am at the point where I really do not know what I am doing, so I am taking my time. It is a simple two room, two story, so I shouldn't have too much trouble. Right?

I have decided that it will be a little ballet studio, inspired by a little doll I found at Goodwill. I'll introduce her the next post.

Thanks so much for stopping. I enjoy your comments.



2 comments:

  1. I just love that screen. It is so cute. The bathroom floor tile is cute...looks just like a vintage bath should look. You're doing a fab job on this.The bedspread is pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann, I didn't know you had this doll house blog. I saw your reference to it on your garden blog. I love doll houses and remember we had a tin type when we were little. My sister and I only shared the one house so we crammed it full of all sorts of homemade furniture.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of Two Projects: Trials and Tribulations

  Murphy's Law says if anything can go wrong it will, and so it is in dollhouse building. I set out today to get the wallpaper installed...