Thursday, September 15, 2016

A Comedy of Errors.

The Denver Museum of Dolls, Miniatures, and Toys held its annual miniature show last weekend. I had waited a whole year to attend, after my first visit last year. I invited my daughters to go with me and plans were taking shape then life got in our way.

My sister-in-law has done family genealogy for years. Since her husband passed two years ago, she has returned to her research with renewed vigor, determined to proof her family's link to the Revolutionary War of 1776 in order to qualify for the Daughters of the Revolution, the DAR. After having done so, she decided to join and wanted my daughters to join with her. The meeting was Saturday, the same day as the miniature show. I told the girls they must go with their aunt because she worked so hard. I ended up going too because my aunt and grandmother had been members, so all I had to do was to update me own records. It was pretty impressive and a rather emotional moment for me when the four of us were introduced as protective members. The admission process is long and tedious with our ancestry and link to the our revolutionary war participant carefully studied and verified before the organization votes on our admission. So now we wait.

I came up with a brilliant plan to go to the show on Friday, recruting my husband to drive me to Denver who can navigate the dreadful traffic. I looked up the address on Map Quest--long story short, I had the wrong address and the wrong day. We got lost. Following my Map Quest directions, we couldn't find the hotel, so I looked up the address on my phone. It was 7801 instead of 2801. We programed the address in the GPS on our SUV and found the hotel easily. Once there, at the door we were informed that the show for public didn't open until Saturday. Oh man, was I bummed and felt a bit foolish in front of my husband. He was very kind and understanding. I owed him a trip to Bass Pro Shop on way home, making him very happy. And I was able to attend the DAR meeting with the girls, too.

Because the show is once a year, I decided to make another trip to Denver. I talked my daughter who had to drive home to Denver into going to the show with me, a little out of her way, but she has a dollhouse too.

I found the show to be unexciting because the same venders were there who were there last year, some with the very same items for sale, such as the lady who makes exquisite miniature Victorian style fashions--delicate slips and under clothing, dresses and such. Same pricey pieces that she had last year. They are so beautiful. Many of the venders are artists with exceptional workmanship, but not the sort of things that I am looking for.

On Friday since the show was closed to public, the lady suggested going to Norm's Dollhouse shop, which made the trip to Denver worth it. I had more fun there and found things that I needed wanted, as well. I found that Norm's pricing is so much more reasonable than the online stores. I bought 2 hanging baskets of pansies for half what the online stores sell them for. So the day turned out fine after all.

I did take some photos at the show. Would you like to see them? I knew you would.


The haunted house was one of the few houses for sale on the main floor. I took this picture because I have a Dura Craft San Franscican house in pieces in a tub that a friend bought on a garage sale for $5. (Thank you, JD) that my daughter wants to use make a haunted house. Cute, isn't it?



 On the lower level, the show displays room boxes done by members. I am overwhelmed by the detail and artistry each entry. These are some of my favorites.


I am working a sewing area in the large Farmhouse, concerned that I have the scale right. I love all of the detail in this room.



I love this one. Pink is my color, so I was especially drawn to it.


These glass domes are unusual and look like a lot of fun to build



I have seen the kits for these 1/44 scale houses. I am thinking that I should build one--while I still have some dexterity and eye sight.


Next is a collection of cabinets decorated so beautifully. Humpty Dumpty is so cute and I love the snowman.


I do wonder where the designers find all of the beautiful little items and how much they must spend on them. So pretty.


This one is really fancy. 


More pink, love it.


For the quilter/sewer, this one is perfect.


Love this one. I like rabbits, too.


This diorama is in a box with glass. Very pretty glass and china pieces.



But this one is my very favorite. I wish I had a better photo of it--one that doesn't show my reflection in the glass. I am thinking that I will build one for my 7 year old grandson. He'd love it. When I first looked at it, I didn't see the sleeping boy. All I was was the teddy bear fighting the dragon and loved that. Then I saw the little boy. And OH WOW. 

I am not so sure that I will return next year to the show. I'd rather go to Norm's on a more regular basis to buy my supplies and support the local retailers instead of the online stores. Hubby thinks I should go every two or three months. Now that I know how to get there from home instead of relying on my daughter to take me, I just may do that.

The carpet cleaner had to postpone his visit here. So the downstairs has been to of commission all week, so I haven't been able to work in the craft area. I am in-between houses anyway. The carpet will be cleaned today then I can get back my work.

Thanks so much for by. Your comments keep me company. 

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog!!!! I love it! I have been reading back through old posts for a few hours!!! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of Two Projects: Trials and Tribulations

  Murphy's Law says if anything can go wrong it will, and so it is in dollhouse building. I set out today to get the wallpaper installed...