Sunday, July 14, 2019

The Unexpected


Last week I filled my dollhouse blog with plants and granddaughters with their horses--hardly miniature related. I also teased that I would have a surprise. Well, I got a surprise! 

I wanted a small project for the summer to work on, something that would be challenging yet worthwhile. We have so much going on this summer that I decided to take a break from working on the dollhouses; in fact, I suppose I burned myself out, working obsessively on the Toy Store. At the same time, with the nice weather, feeling the need to be outside working in the yard. Evenings are best because it has cooled down, so to be downstairs in the basement when the sunshines seems unnatural. Now, though, the mosquitos are out, so the basement offers a nice refuge.

I have been searching for a new house to build, despite having a considerable amount of work to do the modern farmhouse and in my search I have seen these 1:144 scale houses--a dollhouse for a dollhouse. At first I was going to buy the kit from HBS, which also has a great video tutorial on how to assemble their little houses, but then I found MiniLand, a Canadian company that has a lovely collection of minis and found their Georgian House and ordered it, thinking that it was a kit.

It arrived yesterday and to my surprise it was already assembled. Was I disappointed? Mildly so, but the disappointment was quelled as I quickly fell in love the tiny house.


Hand assembled with quality workmanship, the little Georgian is a great addition to my collection, even if I didn't build it myself.


Since it is hand built, there are tiny perfections that make it perfect.




I am still wondering if I should buy the tiny furniture kits? They are very expensive and so very little.


Even the little table is adorable with such delicate woodworking in the trim.

So at the end of the day, I retreated to the basement where it is cool and quiet and began to play with my little Georgian.



Positioned on the table backwards, it's still cute.

Unfinished, unfurnished, it is wonderful. I am deciding where to put it. I won't paint it because I do not have a steady enough hand or skill to paint it; it will remain an unfinished project.

So where to put it? 

First I tried the master bedroom where the mom can hide after a rough day. It fits right next to the fireplace, but seems out of scale, and I have a desk designated for that spot already.


I am thinking in the attic bedroom where the teen girl hangs out, a remanent of her childhood, a mother's unfinished project. Follow the miniature groups on Face Book and you will hear that story--the daughter who is rescuing her childhood dollhouse that someone either built for her or started and never finished. I know that story well, for I am one of those mothers. 

It is still large, but doesn't seem so out of scale there. 

v

Packages shipped from overseas often go through the mail system rather than one of the private big carriers, such as UPS. We have both a post office box and a mail box here at the house, so while I have been checking the mail box every day for my orders, my husband brought them to me from the post office yesterday. 

Double giddiness. 

I ordered a beautiful 1:12 tea set from Julie Warren from Bits and Pieces by Julie on Esty. If you have not discovered Julie, she is most amazing, having turned her love of miniatures into a business. She posted her new line of mini accessories on Face Book and I had to have this little tea set. Without sounding like an endorsement of her work, I was quite charmed by her You Tube video tutorials not just because she is so good, but because she a sweet, calming steady voice that offers very good lessons on how to build dollhouse furniture and accessories. (Not to mention her books.)

So if you were to buy a tea set for your real life home, how would you choose it?  By the shape of the tea pot or the cup?

  


My friend and I are geeks over English tea. Sharron and I have hosted a couple of English Teas for our friends complete with clotted cream and lemon curd. It's fun to fix a pretty table with pretty garden flowers to share with our friends...


...complete with a sweet treat and a lacy table cloth.



Or skip the table cloth



The little table is a perfect place to serve afternoon tea.


 I am getting ideas on how to recreate this little table: I need a House of Miniatures kit and and a pair of sharp scrapbooking scissors. 



I thought perhaps that my addiction was waining, but it doesn't take much to light the fires, and I'm stoked.


Tea, anyone?

Thanks for stopping by. 

My horticulturalist daughter ends her emails with the tag line, "Plant Something."

I'm going end by saying, "Build something."

Have a great week.







3 comments:

  1. Hi Ann! What a wonderful little dollhouse for the dollhouse! I hope you do at least try one of the little furniture kits for it because I think you would really have fun! If you love it, you can do the whole house!
    I know how you feel about not wanting to paint, but if you went all white it would give you a nice shabby feel with no perfection pressure.
    When I first got back into dollhouseing, my creative urges would ebb and flow. It wasn't until 2015 when I began to chronicle my projects on the blog that it really caught fire again. It was then that it became such calming therapy for my over active brain. It is good for you to have so many wonderful things in life competing for your time. When you find passion for an idea - do it. no matter what it is! That's how life speaks to us!
    I love the little tea set, and Julie is a widely talented treasure! I have a crochet piece from her and it is astonishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to come and have tea in your tiny house, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mini dollhouse is a compact version of the Beacon Hill and I think that is is Adorable!!!!
    I think that you could probably find furniture kits for it that would be more budget friendly than purchasing them ready-made, as this scale is currently very popular.
    May I suggest that you may not even need to furnish the entire house if you had only a few pieces of tiny furniture on the floor in the attic bedroom, it would easily suggest that there's more inside the dollhouse.
    Regardless, it is a Gorgeous little house, as is your new tea set with the leaf design- Oh how I Love miniature China; especially when the cups are a nice as yours! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of Two Projects: Trials and Tribulations

  Murphy's Law says if anything can go wrong it will, and so it is in dollhouse building. I set out today to get the wallpaper installed...