Thursday, March 28, 2019

Lights Out

The Farmhouse is giving me fits. I want to finish it up and move it out of the workshop, but it has  issues with lighting--the lights have always given me problems. I have redone the tape writing more than once on the second floor and I thought I had it all the bugs worked out, including the excess humidity in the basement from the aquariums, but the two lights in the kitchen have remained troublesome, so I did what I didn't want to do, pulled up the flooring the second floor to get to the wiring for the kitchen. I had adhered the flooring with carpet tape, really sticky stuff, so that I could remove them if I had to, and I guess I had to.



Here is the culprit joint. I put in new brads and had a connection then I didn't. Then I fiddled with it more and ended up shorting it out because now the only line that works for the living room. I am bummed to say the least. I did find a live wire on the ceiling of the kitchen that I ended up not using, so I think I can do some rerouting--I hope. Otherwise, it is lights out in the Bellingham Farmhouse because I am NOT ripping of wallpaper in the bedroom.



Has anyone used solder to secure wiring? My husband bought me soldering iron which I have not yet used, but I am about the use it. I've read some tutorials and soldering seems to be a good choice. Is it?

The attic of the farmhouse needs to be finished. I have the boy's bedroom figured out, wallpaper chosen from my scrapbooking stash, and a tongue depressor floor ready to stain. With a Roy Rogers' theme, the room is going to be such fun, but there is the other half of the third floor. I'm not sure now just what inspired me, but I decided to create another room and wanted a daybed, so I searched Pinterest for daybeds and found Caroline's tutorial on her daybed at Cinderella Moments. Her pieces are simple, easy to execute, and use common products. So here is my little daybed.


First I made a prototype out of cardboard just to see if I could manage it. Actually, I wish I had taken more time and done a better job, because it turned out okay. I'm going to clean it up and maybe make a bed for one of the girls. 







I re drew my pattern, making sure that all the measurements were accurate. I used 1/16th" Bass wood that cut easily with a sharp knife. For thicker wood, I would have used the scroll saw.


Caroline's headboard has straight lines, but I wanted curves, so I folded the pattern in half and cut away. The sharp point on one side would eventually splinter off, so i removed the other one, causing the sides not to fit accurately, but a nice fluffy pillow covers up that corner.


I cut a mattress out of foam board just slightly smaller than the daybed and covered it with wool batting. Poly fiberfill would work, but I used what I had on hand. (I made some dolls a while back that required wool batting).




I covered the mattress with cloth cut from an old pillow case that was handy.

Then I dug through my fabric stash, finding bits and pieces of fabric that I could use. The crocheted piece is a coaster that a blog friend sent me from England. There are six, so I try to add one to each house so that there is a touch of Elizabeth in each house.


I already had the pillowcase made up and I save those silicone packets, so I stuffed on in the pillow case, but I will new pillows.








I thought about what sort of embellishments I might add, but then decided that the bedding will cover most of the bed, so I left it plain.


This attic room is an odd space, but I think I have a plan for it.


This afternoon I painted the bed with a chalk paint, giving it a light finish.


When the paint dried, I sanded it smooth and tried to adde some wear and tear.


It will be a cute little space that the teen-aged girl has created for herself, her own hideaway where she has dragged things out of storage to make her little nest.

I made the hall tree a while ago with the idea of using in another house, but I've never found a good place for it. Inspired by Cinderella Moments, again, I used a new door in my stash that came without a jamb. The little hall trees are fun to make, and I think this one has now found its home.

I borrowed the rug from the upstairs hall and it is just the sort of rug that would end up in the attic all rolled up, so it stays here. I don't remember where I got it. Etsy maybe, but one can just as easily be printed on muslin. 

I made the chair, a House of Miniatures kit and covered it with muslin. It is rough looking, and that is okay for an old chair relegated to the attic. The young teen who is creating this little hideaway nest in the attic will find other "cool" things hidden and stashed way back in the dark corners of the attic. Stay tuned.

It's spring break and my little grandson is here, so I won't get a lot done on either house. He wants to work on his house--yes, his house. He needs some furniture. He says that he is doing a Halloween house, so I think we will make him a bed.  I am close to wrapping up the toy store. I have flooring to install in the loft and I have cut the ceiling paper, and I have a chandelier to install then it I will fill it with toys. The farmhouse needs the attic finished and a roof. Oh how I dread the roof. 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your visit.



3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Ann! And I'm so touched to think you are using my Grandma's little crochet things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,
    dollhouse electrical is real pain in the rear! I do not use the brads, I use the eyelets for connecting joints. I also miter the tapewire by folding it back on itself any time it is possible. That way I don't have to reconnect it. I have soldered a light directly to the tapewire. https://livingtheminiaturelife.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-tale-of-two-lights.html
    I suggest watching some videos and practicing on a board with tape wire before you do it in the house.
    ```Good luck~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do I know your frustrations! Because of my tape wire nightmares with the RGT Barn conversion project, I have vowed to never combine tape wire with an MDF build ever again! Once penetrated, the MDF crumbles over time and eventually all of your connections will fail. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but have lived to experience it. I used double eyelets at every join and still had poor connections over time. So, tape wire is okay with plywood but not MDF. For that, use round wire in the future. Now that you have the flooring pulled up, you can add wired ceiling fixtures to the rooms below and hide the wires when you replace the flooring. I know how disappointing and disheartening it can be when so much time and money has been invested in an heirloom dollhouse!
    The daybed is adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...