Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Lafayette: A Little Charmer and a Real Bargain

Daughter Jennifer spends a lot of time on Craigslist. I try not to. She discovered an ad for a huge estate sale just east of us, close the farm where my husband helps out his farmer friend. I asked him to take me to the sale Thursday. It was mid afternoon before we were able to go and once there I got sick and had to leave, but not without a bit of looking around.

The building was piled with hundreds of boxes still packed, with many unpacked, and some things were displayed. The lady who owned the stuff, as I over heard, loved to shop and went to auctions. There were hundreds of boxes filled with everything imaginable: books, old magazines, figurines, Christmas, dishes, dolls stuffed animal, and on and on and on. There was even a stack, yes "stack" of fish aquariums of various sizes from 5 gallons to over 200. But sitting high up on an old desk was a dollhouse that caught my eye immediately.

I took it down from its perch and asked how much. $10, um. . .  I'll take $5. Not feeling well enough to make a decision and in need of going home, I left it behind. But you know when something haunts you, even late into the night. And you then dream about it. And then the daughter says, "Mom, you gotta get it. The girls can play with it at your house (emphasis on "at your house."). So Saturday morning I arrived back at the sale before it was open. Yep, the dollhouse was still there.

Still mulling around in my mind thinking that I did not want to become this lady, the one who hoards and buys and hoards, I held back. The lady in charge of the sale said that the house was left outside and had blown over in the wind the day before and suffered damage (more) and she didn't know if they even found all of the pieces. I looked at it, set it aside, bummed. What to do? I wandered around, finding other do-dads. Then the bug to buy hit as I picked up a large porcelain  owl to add to my collection at home (there were dozens of owls), 5 little ceramic Easter houses for an Easter village (brand new in boxes never opened), a red glass plate, and a porcelain swan (all for a dollar each), I decided to get the house. "How much?" I asked. $5. I replied, "That was the price yesterday. Today it is broken." $3," a quick reply.



What a little charmer it is. I adore it. I had a suspicion that is was the same vintage as Heather's house that I had build in the '80s and restored this spring. It is indeed a Dura-Craft, the Lafayette. You can still find new kits on ebay for under $40. It would make a very good starter kit for someone interested in starting a new project.



The house isn't' in terrible shape. The seams had come unglued so someone used clear packing tape to tape it back together. I pulled off all of the tape and in these photos you see the house all cleaned up. I used canned air to spray away the dust and dirt then gave it a light sanding. I believe it is now ready for paint and wall paper, after I glue it back together, that is.




This side suffered the most damage when it fell. The bay window got knocked off, but the pieces are in good shape and will glue back in easily. I have sanded and scraped away the old glue. There is still more glue inside that I would like to remove, but probably won't now. The glue does not scrap away easily. One Internet site suggested using a hair dyer to heat the glue. Not a good idea. I now need to buy a new hair dryer. I went to town to buy a heat gun that crafters use or one used to remove finish from old furniture and decided to spare the expense.

You will notice that at the front door is ajar. It is glued in place. Bummer. I don't think that I can get it free without heating the glue, so I may have to just live with a door that doesn't swing open.

While I love the natural wood look, I am thinking of painting the exterior gray with pink trim. Heather suggests pink and green. I may save those colors for the Alpine Farmhouse. 



I have discovered that special tools are needed for building a dollhouse. I found this kit on the Wallmart site and ordered it.



 It comes with a nice selection of tools


in a nice wooden box,
 

 but I am questioning the quality of the tools now. The blue clamps don't work very well, unless I don't know how to work them. I have a better one I found at Hobby Lobby. I'll note it when it appears in a photo. The best tool, though, is the miter box to cut 45 degree angles on pieces of trim to fit around corners.

 I have today to myself, so I am going to paint the interior walls of the Alpine house tbefore I begin gluing the walls on.

Here are some web sites that I have studied to get the nerve to begin:


Real Good Toys: Finishing the Interior Part I and Part II. Just follow the links.

Nana's Dollhouses and Miniatures

Thinking of building a dollhouse?

Hobby Lobby offers a really good starter kit: The Orchid for $30. Very similar to the Lafayette, it is made of the composite wood like the Alpine House. Made by Corona Concepts who also makes the Greenleaf kits, it will (I hate to promise easy to build) be a good project. Greenleaf also has great discussions on how to build their houses.

Well, the adventures begins. Thanks so much for joining me. The blog needs more work, so bear with me.

May all of your dollhouse dreams come true, and if you don't have any, enjoy mine or begin your own or both.







3 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, I love your new blog! I am a grandmother who had all boys, so, although I still have the doll house I build for Kelli in the late 70's, the grandsons are growing up with out the least bit of interest in it! If I had had little girls, I'm sure I would still be building them! Your new one will be darling when you are finished with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting to have found another good quality house to 'play' with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see so many miniature items at thrift shops, I should start making one myself. Thanks for the link for the starter kit.

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of Two Projects: Trials and Tribulations

  Murphy's Law says if anything can go wrong it will, and so it is in dollhouse building. I set out today to get the wallpaper installed...