Friday, May 17, 2019

Wallpapering 2.0

I've joined a Face Book group, Dollhouse Miniatures, Tutorials, and DYI. It's a closed group, so those interested in joining have to request admission and then be accepted. There are rules, but basically members are supposed to only post their 'how-to' tutorials. Face Book is not particularly my forum, blogging is, but I get such good ideas and it's so much fun to share mine. One question those new to dollhouse building have is how to or when to wall paper, so here is a brief tutorial on how I wallpaper.

To begin: with a new build it is wise to make templates before you assemble the pieces. I use a roll of butcher paper because you can cut large pieces. You will get an accurate template of the house's walls.

If you are renovating a thrift store find (lucky you!) then I use computer paper and press it against the wall, running my finger around curves and widows and doors so that I have impressions then cut out what I need to, such as this template that has been pieced together and taped. Someone asked me why I didn't make templates when I started the house. I did. But I forgot where I put them. This house has been a three year project.

This is my attic room in the Bellingham Farmhouse. You can see that is a very difficult space.




Cutting: I use a metal ruler as a cutting edge and an Exact blade,  with a new blade. I also have used a rotary cutter, and my scrapbook paper cutter (like the one in you school's art room. Mine's a Martha Steward. Great for straight lines.) I've left the white border otherwise the sheet is too short. It will be covered with crown molding and base board. This is Itsy Bitsy. I like the company because the walloper is nice quality and the company offers coordinated patterns in nice collections.



 Now the paper is in place. I used Grandam Stover's Mucilage, a nice gooey paste that goes on nicely. I spread it on the back of the wallpaper and and put the piece in place. I use an old credit card to smooth out the air bubbles and the excess glue.  You can see that it laps over the the corned, covering up the gap in the corner--and there was a gap between the two walls. Add 1/2" inch on each side.


You will see that the side wallpaper will slide nicely right into the corner and you have a very clean corner where the two walls join.



Even on the right wall, I have a nice corner. Not sure if I will paper that far wall. It's an attic.


This just may my favorite room of the house, I think. 

Wallpapering can be daunting for new builders. Here are some suggestions:

  • Start with a simple room, a nice box. Make a a template; best before you assemble the house, but not always possible, especially if you are doing a remodel.
  • Measure twice or three times or how ever many you times need to get a perfect template, cut once.
  • Where to buy wallpaper: I use http://itsybitsymini.com because of their  variety of papers and and the quality. I also use scrapbook paper because there is such a great variety or patterns and it is cheap. In fact I used scrapbook paper in every room of the Bellingham Farmhouse, except for this attic room because I couldn't find anything I liked. Remember to keep the scale of your house in mind when you select a printed paper. 
  • I have made all of the mistakes, ripped, torn, cut too short, not ordered enough of a discontinued paper--a I found a very nice lady online who was able to find a piece. Bless her. Finger Tip Fantasies Dollhouse and Miniatures in Deleware. I've had to remove paper, because my wiring failed,  so buy a bit extra. 
  • How much wallpaper should you buy? I have found that even small rooms may require three sheets. Scrapbook paper will require more.
  • Keep a damp cloth handy to wipe away glue the has gotten on the wallpaper. Wipe gently because you will wipe away the ink. I spay the scrapbook paper with a sealer to strengthen it. 
  • Print your own? For me it takes too much printer ink and I've never tried to set the ink. I just wouldn't print wallpaper. Some do very successfully. 
  • In the end, you will do what works best for you based on these things: skill, desired results, budge. 
I read all kinds of suggestions for glue: hot glue, tacky glue, regular wallpaper glue for the real houses, but Friends it pays to buy quality products, so I use glues sold by wallpaper outlets because they spread nicely, clean up easily, and removed easily.


Good luck with your wallpaper projects.


Exciting New Finds!
If you are like me, you are always looking miniatures--everywhere. I found this soap dishes at the Garden Center. Perfect size for 1:12 bathrooms.



The Westville is scheduled to get a total remake. It didn't have a bathroom to begin with--now it has a bathtub. I will use a free standing faucet from Shape Ways if I can't make my own. Pink has to approved everything. She likes it. Thankfully.




I searched the Internet to see if these cute tubes are available anywhere else and they are. 

That's all I have. Thanks for visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...