Friday, January 17, 2020

Little Things

With the goal in mind to finish the Texas Farmhouse, I've ordered shingles from Greenleaf, a rug from Melvin's Minis on Etsy, and two unrelated pieces from Robin Betterley to finish my circus train. I've cut some trim pieces for the attic bedroom and searched for other pieces of trim that were painted and cut to size long ago--I may have to recut them.

While I wait for the shingles to arrive, I've done other things. I built the three Robin Betterley circus cars that I received for Christmas, a fun, tedious project, but very much worth it.

Who did doesn't love the circus? Admittedly, I have either never grown up or reverted to by childhood in my old age, so to indulge myself, I embarked on building my own circus train designed for the Storybook Toy Store. With Barnum and Bailey Circus now shut down and the animals retired to their spacious farm in Florida, the little train brings back those fond memories.

Early one morning as I prepared to go work, I heard the train rumble through town. Glancing east to just look as one often does when the freight trains roar through town, the cars that sped by were marked "Barnum and Bailey. It was indeed a real circus train headed to Denver. The animals though were safely bedded down in the early morning in enclosed rail cars, nor were there clowns handing out of coach cars waving wildly. It was a long train complete with flatbed cars that carried all of the heavy equipment necessary to set up the show--you know fork lifts, tractors, golf carts and even a school bus, I suppose to take the humans to their hotels. It was a self contained, self sufficient show. A real circus train. I am sure that it passed each year through our little town; I had just never been able to see it. Perhaps it was that particular year that the circus train stopped in Greeley, CO just 12 miles or so down the road from where I live. Because I worked, I couldn't go welcome the train and circus performers. The train made a rare, brief stop to recognize an  anniversary of a tragic event when the circus did stop to perform in Greeley. In August 1884 the circus train caught caught fire, killing ten roustabouts and injuring others. You can read more about the dreadful accident here: http://www.gendisasters.com/colorado/5745/greeley-circus-train-wreck-aug-1884.

The Barnum and Bailey circus train stopped in Greeley in 2002 to thank the Greeley residents decades later for burying the ten workers because the show must go on by giving a very brief performance.

These kits are tedious to assemble. The hardest part is cutting out the tiny animals. The directions suggest using either scissors or a sharp blade--I used both. I used a pair of small, very sharp, and pointed scissors that I acquired in a small scrap booking kit that I purchased at Tuesday Morning. It came with the cutting mat, magnetic ruler, and those very sharp little scissors. I also know an expert blade sharpener who keeps my scissors honed to a fine edge.


It is not always easy to get all of the tiny flecks of white paper cut away, so what I really need to do is to use a fine point Sharpie pen to color the white; however, the whiteonly shows up under the scrutiny of a well lit and focused photo.


Next, the giraffe, a favorite. Working with the Easter kit from Robin Betterley, I learned to paint the pieces before removing them from them their form. Here they can be painted and sanded while flat on the work surface. The edges do need to be sanded to for two reasons: to remove the tiny tab that holds them in place and to remove the burned surface on the edges from the laser cutting. This is tricky because the pieces are so tiny and delicate. I sand them either on a sponge sanding block 320 grit or a small emery board. The burnt surface really does need cleaned off for a clean paint job or left on for a more rustic, worn look--perhaps.














 I think I did a better job of cutting out the giraffe. Takes practice. I use a tooth pick to apply Aleene's tacky glue dispensed in a piece of jewelry finding container held in place with double sticky Scotch tape. The unused glue eventually dries clear and can be easily removed for the next application.


The little cars go together easily and quickly.





















Global Village Museum

After a nice lunch with a friend, she took me to a little known museum in Ft. Collins, CO, where her husband volunteers. It is a unique museum that holds collections of local world travelers who collect mementos and souvenirs during their travels. On display currently is the Festival of Light and Nativities, so one room is dedicated to the role that Light plays during the holiday season. The display includes an interesting collection of menorahs, but she really took me there to see the dollhouses, mostly donated by local miniaturists. The iPhone photographs are not the best and there was so much to look at. Here are my favorites.





The very first display is a Mongolian yurt. Surprisingly, my friend revealed that she and her husband had traveled to Mongolia last summer and had stay in a yurt.



There was a wide variety of structures furnished with the most wonderful pieces.


This one was my favorite, a Mexican Hacienda. You will enjoy the authenticity and attention to detail. Perhaps the rugs and pottery were the best features.





I wondered if the luminaries on the roof's edge would light--probably not. See the Indian Kachina dolls in the upper corner.



Another favorite. 






 This little girl's room was part of a display that was built in a multi shelf cabinet, with several contributors. You will see her tiny collection of toys on the bottom of her shelf.


Hoping to build my own cabin one day, I enjoyed looking at this one. My grandmother's cabin had that same rag rug made out of rags from the rag bag, braided and stitched together.


This corner had different themed, small houses, but I chuckled at the bottom on, the two story outhouse, apparently the real thing since the sign explained how a two story latrine actually worked. I never knew.


 This one was named 'A French Apartment House', but my friend called it a brothel.  The living quarters on top, the boudoir, and the ground floor, the Bake Shop.


At first I didn't see the loft room at the top of the house with its side view,

but as we returned to the room, the very top level was reveled with a side exposure: The Artist's Studio.







Another room had miniatures from around the world. So many tiny, colorful things.


There was more to share, but I end with a nostalgic American classic, the vintage gas station that I remember a child, completely with a 1940s Chevy pick-up. I began my diving lessons in grandpa's 1950 red Chevy pick-up. Such memories. 

The shingles and rug should arrive today or early next week and then the fun will begin.



Have a great week. Enjoy the Little Things in life.

Thanks so much dropping by. I always love your comments.












No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tale of Two Projects: Trials and Tribulations

  Murphy's Law says if anything can go wrong it will, and so it is in dollhouse building. I set out today to get the wallpaper installed...