Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Learning the Maker and More.

If this post seems to be all over the place,  that's exactly the way things have been going with three projects that I'm bouncing back and forth between. 

To begin, I've been learning how to navigate Design Space for the Cricut. Here's what I have learned so far:
  • I'm only able to purchase 1/16 basswood at Hobby Lobby that is 8 inches wide and 24 inches long, so I have to cut down to 11 inches in length. Cricut's 11x11 sheets of basswood are out of stock. Who knows when of if the product will return. 
  • While the program says that it takes 14 passes to cut through this thickness, it actually take  9 passes before the knife blade cuts the mat. I've ruined two mats so far.



My first go at cutting basswood.


I am very impressed with the Maker. My friend has an Expressions II, which she has run for years, sometimes for days on end when she is in scrapbooking frenzy. She has yet to wear it out. The Maker is an impressive tool the home hobbies. One thing does frustrate me: I can't use my Cricut cartridges for my Expression 11 because the cartridge adapter is also out of stock. 


  • I discovered that Basswood does have a right and a wrong side. I need to pay better attention to how I store my wood. I accidentally cut pieces for a cabinet out of 3/32 basswood. The machine handled it in fine style; it's just that the cabinet will now be an odd piece. 
  • I'm becoming more comfortable with metrics. I am following Julie Warren's tutorial and her one book to create kitchen cabinets for the Blue Farmhouse Now Pink and she while she gives measurements in both metrics and Imperial, I am finding that it is much easier to measure in metrics than to find 16/64 on my ruler. Design Space does not give millimeters; instead, it measures in centimeters, so I found a conversion chart and soon learned to move the decimal point. I'm not a woman of numbers. I understand words, but I am learning.
  • Finally, I have to pay attention as to how I want the grain of the wood run when I design pieces in Design Space and adjust my measurements to cut the wood in the right direction. The lesson here is to check the first cut to make sure that the machine is cutting properly and to continue to check it through out the cutting session.
I'm burning through a lot of wood. 


Julie's cabinets are so nicely designed; her directions are excellent, but her projects have so many pieces, I've found that it helps me to cut out pieces in card first, label them and attach them to one of the mats that I ruined to help me organize the pieces.



So these are some of the pieces that I have made so far for the farmhouse, except I made the small cabinet three times. Twice I've glued it together wrong. ๐Ÿ˜– I've also been trying to design and make a refrigerator. The blue piece is an attempt at a counter-top stove that I made years ago before I knew what I was doing. It is coming in handy as I plan my new kitchen. There fridge project is a rogue one, too, making it up as I go along. The green and blue piece is test run at a cabinet design. 


And I've been working on the Fairfield, too, my thought that I might make new furniture for it. I traced out a pattern for the living room sofa, wanting to preserve the original.


I knew how to make sofa arms  full scale, but I wasn't sure how to make that round arm, so I tugged a bit to get a peak at the arm itself. And that's when I decided that I if was was renovating the house, I could freshen up the furniture, too. Because the furniture is probably close to 40 years old, the glue has dried out, so the the sofa began to nearly fall apart. It will be easy to reupholster.


My mother would absolutely love the red velvet Victorian furniture. 

Dad was pretty tight with money, so mom had to be creative. They had a little house in a little mountain village near Steamboat Springs, CO. One great pass time was to go dump picking. You'd be amazed at what people throw away. One day she came home with an old sofa. They hauled it over the mountain passes back to Denver. She took an upholstery night class through Adult Education (back in the '60s) then she recovered that old sofa and a chair in garish crushed red velvet. While I never shared her love of crushed red velvet Victorian furniture, I always admired her ability to adjust a Simplicity pattern to her liking. She could adjust patterns and had the ability to look at a piece of fabric and cut out what she wanted and it was always perfect. Sometimes she'd make a newspaper pattern as a guide. I don't that gene.


I gingerly began to lift an edge of the back of the chair and the edge lifted easily, so I continued,


with good results. Now I have patterns to re-upholster chairs. I didn't stop with the dining chairs. I moved on the easy chairs, taking one totally apart. I got this. These pieces have their original price stickers, which are marked 'Aztec' and they were pricey little pieces. 




I am now comfortable with taking the tiny furniture apart and reassembling it with new fabric. I don't know yet if I will paint it or leave it as it is. 

I also made some canned foods. I watched Julie Warren's video on how to create canned goods. She uses Adobe Photoshop 6 to create very accurate labels. Her instructions for Photoshop are the best that I have seen. 

When I upgraded my Mac OS to Mojave, I lost two key programs: Quicken, which had 20 years of banking and my Photoshop Element 11 because the new update took the OS system from 32 bytes to 64, making old software incompatible. I had already upgraded my Microsoft Office to the new platform on the desktop, but not my laptop.

If you us a Mac and have not yet updated to Mojave, do some research first to see what changes will be made and if you can live them. 

So, without Photoshop, I have learned to do some very simple editing in Microsoft Word. To make can food labels here's how I do it:

  • Carefully remove the label. Then scan it. On a Mac, it opens up in "Preview" where I crop and copy it, then insert it into a Word Document.
  • Double click on the image to access the tool to adjust the size. The image here shows the size of the label, 6.5 inches tall and 2. 78 wide


You may have to experiment with size. You can see what I decided to try first.


I dug in my stash to to find a cola can to test my size.


The first label was little short, so I reprinted the same size and left a tab to clue the other end to. Eventually, I scaled the label down to .8" long to get the right size, still cutting it a little longer to have tap to anchor the end of label as I glued it in place. 


And I have a nice fit. Of course I didn't want to cover up my cola can, so I followed Julie's instructions and purchased a 3 mm dowel, or 1/8" diameter.  (I forgot to take my ruler with me, so I took the dowel over to the art supplies aisle and measured on one the rulers there.)

 

I measured the length of the label on the dowel, cut a dozen of them on my old scroll saw then painted them with platinum acrylic craft paint.


To give the label some strength and body I sprayed them with Krylon clean sealer then glossed them lightly with Modge Podge, hoping that the ink would run smudge, but it did a little.




Read to make burritos.


Finally the big project. I decided to reredo the kitchen in the Blue Farmhouse Now Pink. This was my first big project. You can see the beginning of the project and how the house looked when I brought it home by clicking on the photo. 





Because I was so new at this hobby when began this project,  I purchased pre-made sink, stove, and refrigerator. Pretty generic and uninteresting. So now that I have learned so much, I have decided to do the kitchen.



I love this house but the, I've never liked the kitchen. Right now the house is a mess because I'm trying to figure out to build the cabinets. 

Here is part of my journey in the kitchen renovation.

I want to build Julie Warren's cabinets. I've measured the space and drawn a floor plan then began making cabinets, the double base cabinet on the left and the farm sink on the right, but her cabinets don't exactly  fit the space.


I'm trying different floor plans. I even built a prototype stove out of scrapbook paper, which I if go with it, it will have to scaled down.


 Hoosier, which I adore, will have to fit in the new floor plan.




So, I played with pieces various piece to figure out he floor plan. This on includes a corner cabinet. Wont' that be fun to build? Not. I borrowed the refrigerator from the Bellingham. I'm using it as a guide to make my own.


After much trial and error with pieces that I previously made, I tested my pattern in chipboard, cutting it out on the Cricut. I have some adjustments to make, but most importantly if fits in the space. 

There is nice view from this kitchen window: the kids on the porch swing and view of the lake beyond (the freshwater aquarium)๐Ÿ˜


I really like the center island bake center, but it seems very crowded. And the second sink, a dry sink that I really like, too, but it may have to find a new home.


I realized that I didn't have have the cabinets underneath the window. I had wanted to center the sink in the window.


Then I tried this:


And I like it this way.


But I think I like this the best. I like the table by the window. 


And that's what I have been doing.

I do welcome any Maker suggestions, hints, and tips.

What have you been up to?

Thanks so much for dropping by; I hope you learned something new. Join me on Facebook where I belong to several mini groups, including Dollhouse Miniature Tutorials and DYI where I'll share parts of this post. 

Have a wonderful week. 




7 comments:

  1. Look at you go! I am really impressed with your progress cutting wood and making cabinets. Full disclosure: I haven’t tried cutting basswood yet. Maybe that is a good thing because now I can benefit from your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impatient, I suppose, Sherrill. I just plow ahead and learn from my mistakes. I bought the Maker to make better cuts on wood and so far I am pleased with the results and quite impressed with the machine. Thank you for the encouragement to go ahead and buy one--you and Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a huge amount of work and so varied. It was all worth it - the en results are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on grabbing the bull by the horns and jumping right in! There is so much to learn and you are doing great! Here are some tips I can think of now to help you...
    I find that often when I am using the knife blade on various materials the default number of passes is either too few or too many. Once you have worked with the same material for a few projects you can create your own custom settings that will be foolproof every time. You assign they material type, the number of passes, the pressure setting and then assign a name that tells you exactly what material from what source it is. When cutting basswood, it also matters how you place the grain on the mat. The cuts going with the grain will cut through more easily that those going across the grain.To avoid going through the mat, when you're at about 7 passes, sit by the machine and pause it to check the cuts before each new pass begins. Once you know the machine, settings and behavior for that specific material, your custom setting will give you confidence to stop babysitting.
    I use imperial and only measure to 32nds. I find that is close enough because there is always a little sanding, anyway. I use this chart to get the decimal number to enter into Design Space:
    http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html
    Your cabinets, labels and furniture look awesome and I love the last layout of the kitchen, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jodi. I have so much to learn. I was wondering why I couldn't customize the settings, so now Have to go look that up. Thanks so much for your input.

      Delete
    2. You may already know about some of these but just in case...

      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmMKNg1O7D-ej10icellxWYObkRc5g2TN

      https://www.youtube.com/c/HeatherTracyThicketworks/search?query=maker

      https://www.youtube.com/c/BentleyHouseProductions/videos

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/spellboundminiature/

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/MMBCS/

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much. this is an impressive list. I love Thicket Works. I made her tiny books and Spell Bound and the Cricut for Beginners on Facebook. These sites will keep me busy. I appreciate the time that you take to help out.

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...