Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Oh Tannenbaum


One of my miniature goals has been to make a Christmas tree, a pretty, traditional Christmas tree. I began making ornaments last year just before Christmas as I decorated the Bellingham farmhouse, but there were too many other things to do, so I vowed to work on my tree over the summer. Sure. 

I began by ordering my tree on Etsy from a local vendor, Dave Nelson who used to manage his mother's dollhouse store in Denver. He continues to build houses and refurbish dollhouses and attend miniature shows, but we know how that business has been this year. He announced on Instagram and Facebook that he was opening up an Etsy store, so I purchased his tree and the sweet little ginger bread girl ornaments. 

Before I did miniatures, I tried my hand at making jewelry, but that was a passing phase. I have the tools, wires, beads, and findings, so I got busy.


The ornaments are easy to assemble: string beads and bead caps on a head bead, add a dab of jewelry glue in between each element (E6000 or similar jewelry labeled glue--not super glue because it will cloud glass beads). Cut the head pin about 3/4 of an inch long, then using jewelry needle nosed pliers bend the head pin into a hook to hand the bead on the branch. If you have to shop for beads, look through  the jewelry findings for bead caps that simulate the caps on ornaments. Use your imagination.

I use head pins with a small gold bead top at the bottom of the ornaments to hold them in place. I have also used head pins with a looped top and flathead top, but I think I like the one with the bead. There are a variety of ways to design you ornaments. Pinterest is full of great ideas.


I took the remainder of the head pin that I cut off to make the hangers for the ginger bread girls.
The ornaments below have gold seed beads at the bottom to cover the end of the head pin.


I had the gold beaded garland in my stash along with the little candy canes. I found a card of beaded angles so added them to the tree, too.



But I really wanted candles on my tree. Candles this size are rather hard find online and I wanted candles NOW not next year, so I made some using oven bake polymer clay.  

Candles are very easy to make: roll a thin rope of clay. I used white, but wanted to add some translucent
but mine just crumbled, so my candles are just plain white, but I think a translucent candle would be nice.  I wanted a dozen candles that were less than inch tall. I rolled extras and made some longer ones of candle stick and sconces. 

 


I purchased a toaster oven to bake my polymer clay downstairs so that I didn't have start the kitchen oven for just a few little candles and let's face it, to save trips up and down the stairs. 

I'm not crazy over this oven because it is very hard to set the temperature and time, so I used an oven thermometer to gage the temperature, and set the timer on my watch. I had to monitor the gage so that the clay didn't burn. I also had to adjust the temperature. I had to guess where 270 on the temperature  was on the temperature dial then I had to lower the temperature because the gage went to 350.--Anyway. The candles came out perfect after about 20 minutes of baking.


I made 12 candle holders using bead caps and I glued the candles in place. It was a challenge to get them to stand and dry straight. You have to make sure to get the candles to stand straight because after the glue sets, the candles can't be straightened.



I think they turned out okay and they look great on the tree. I used the jewelry glue to attach them to tree branches.



Using different bead caps, I created table top candle sticks. 


I had plans to place the tree in the Bellingham, but it's is a bit too large, so I moved out some of the toys in the toy store and placed the tree there. Santa (an ornament) seems to be having quite a conversation with American Girls. They are a handful and I'm sure that he has lengthy notes on their year.




I had such fun with this little tree. I've seen such beautiful miniature tress and hoped that I could one day make one for myself. 


Source List for supplies and tools

Hobby Lobby
Michael's
JoAnn
 (located in The Netherlands, but they have lovely product, kits, tutorials, and will gladly answer email questions. While deliver takes a while, it's worth the weight. I'm got a chandelier kit and some sconces that I'll be making after the holidays)

So from our home to your home, Merry Christmas. May your holiday be merry and bright.



Thank you for stopping by.  I'll see you after the New Year.

































3 comments:

  1. That's very sweet Ann. So clever to make the tiny candles. Your house is ready for Christmas! You must feel such a sense of achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it! Thanks for the tutorials. The candles are really effective and the ornaments are so pretty. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Ann! Your tree looks beautiful and I am sure the American Girls appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...