Monday, September 5, 2022

In the Mood

 Work on the Manchester cabinets goes slowly due part to the tediousness of the finishing touches and real life projects and responsibilities taking time away from play time. I am glad to announce that I made some good progress this week. The cabinets still are not finished; while, I have made good progress, I'm procrastinating the painting. 

Countertops have posed one big challenge because I didn't know how to create a realistic look.  For the kitchen countertops, cut two tops on the Cricut maker from 1/16 basswood and gluded the together to get a thicker counter. I used 12x12 sheet adhesive vinyl to give the look of shiny quartz or granite countertops. It is very easy to work with, giving a very, clean finished look.

The cook top cutout made it hard line up the cut vinyl so after a failed attempt to get the cut final in place, I drew guide lines to help line up both sides of the cut out. After three tries, I finally got it right.


The guide lines made a big difference in applying the vinyl evenly on both sides.




I used my Cricut scrapper to press down the vinyl to get a good, smooth seal. The vinyl is easy to work with and gives good results.

 

All the cabinet needs now is paint touch up, 3 drawer pulls; and the top glued in place.


The next counter top I covered was for the bathroom vanity and the repurposed kitchen cabinet that I'll use on the 3rd floor. I used a heavier card stock with a pattern that resembled a marble finish. The paper, of course, required glueing in place.

After the glue on the paper had dried, I first sprayed countertops with Krylon Sealer to strengthen the paper for the next step, a coat of the triple thick clear glaze to give a shiny a surface. 

Paper does not hold up as well as the vinyl. Too much tacky glue will soften the paper, causing it to tear, so the less glue, the better.



I used the chemical sprays in the garage and wore a left over COVID mask--which really didn't protect much from the fumes, so I sprayed outside because the fumes are so awful. I also let the pieces cure 24 hours.

Next I painted the plastic sinks that ordered from Paper Doll Miniatures Shapeways Store. I used a primer-paint spray for the base then I'll paint them white with acrylic paint.


I'm really liking the gray cabinet, but I'm questioning the gold handles now. I may change them out. I had already painted the plumbing gold, but the the bathroom is gray and black, and the handles will be nickel, so I will repaint the faucets and switch out the gold knobs. Why do I keep changing my mind?


Just to see if they would fit, I inserted the chipboard boxes that will become "baskets" for storage. 








I'll add feet so that the cabinet doesn't sit on the floor and faucets to finish the bathroom vanity. I found the "feet" at Hobby Lobby in the craft lumber. They are actually for furniture making to cover recessed screws, but they work nicely as feet. The vanity just didn't look right siting directly on the floor. The feet will give it a finished look.


Back in I have struggled with how to hang the upper cabinets with the vent hood removable so that I could access the light that will be behind the hood. I watched a quick video where the upper cabinets were glued to some sort of art board and then attached to the kitchen wall. I decided then to use illustration board over the wall, cutting a hole where light will be hang. I've wallpapered the board and will use carpet tape that is double sided sticky to attach the board to the wall of the kitchen, so that if I have to change out the light, I can--I hope.


So all of the counter tops are made but need to be glued in place and once all the touchup work is finished the kitchen cabinets will be installed and then I can install the stair case by week's end--I hope.


But I do have an important project to finish, my grandson's photo album. I have all the photos selected and now am adding the embellishments. He and grandpa came home early from elk hunting, so I didn't get it finished for him. More Procrastination, which I defend by saying, "I have to be in the right mood," which really has caused a lot of procrastination in making countertops. I wanted them to look right and authentic. I think they will be okay.


Thanks for visiting. Have a wonderful week.

7 comments:

  1. I think you are very wise to wait to be in the mood for all creative projects! It seems like when you force your will, it ends up being a frustrating experience and doesn't come out as well as when you are excited about it. The countertops look amazing, and you did such a great job on all of the cabinets! You should feel really proud of yourself - this house is turning out so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jodi. It's been a busy summer, so I haven't spent much time with the minis. I was hoping to have the house done by now, but once I get the kitchen finished there will be more progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kitchen is looking beautiful and the bathroom vanity is a bonus. You’ve made good progress. I know exactly what you mean when you say you have to be in the mood. As you know, I’ve also been suffering from distractions. I’m not quite ready to sink my teeth into a complicated mini project, but I have been using similar skills doing life sized projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have much on your plate as you organize, unpack, and decorate a new home. It surely is exciting to have a brand new home to explore and settle into. All in good time. We are, however, anxious to how to decorate the interior of your mini house, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed at the detail you have put into these units. They are beautiful. I have started doing some more work on my large dollshouse now and will post when I have something to show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all in the detail--I guess. We can't wait to see your house!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...