Friday, October 13, 2023

Too Many Projects

 I seem to be having a hard time focusing these days, jumping from one thing to the next. The speed shingles from Green Leaf arrived several days ago, but I've not tackled that roofing job yet, but it really must be the next project. I must get the Manchester house itself finished. 

Along with these good intentions, real life gets in the way. It's time to host the fall greeting card making parties for my DAR chapter. We make Veteran's Day cards and Christmas cards for the residents at the the Cheyenne, WY, so I went downstairs this morning to begin cleaning and organizing for the worship next week, but, of course, I got side tracked.

Last week I stopped at ARC, a local thrift store and found bags of dollhouse furniture. I didn't buy them because the time because the items that  were jammed in plastic bags looked pretty rough, but the next morning, I just had to go back to buy two bags. Of course, it was pretty much sight unseen and I was pretty disappointed when I got the bags home and opened them up, but I did manage to salvage one table, but it had to be rebuilt. 

This was my first attempt at piecing the table back together, using toothpicks and painting all the legs silver. But it didn't work.


The toothpicks didn't work, so I cut down some spindles to the correct length to make wooden legs: 

Well that didn't look very good either. The mid century (1970s) table with a glass top and chrome legs didn't work with wooden  spindle legs. I was about to give up.

I returned to the container where I put all the bits and pieces and found another leg, so I needed only one toothpick to put all the pieces back in place. I cleaned off all the silver paint that I had covered the chrome with to blend with the wood toothpick pieces, removed the old, excess glue, and drilled a tiny hole in the toothpick so that the counter part piece would fit.


Now with all but one of the original pieces, I was able to salvage the cool little table. I was beginning to really like it.  I used the LocTite glue so that it would set quickly, though I can't seem to keep it off my fingers. 



The tiny pieces have a bit of flange on one end that fits into a tiny whole on the other piece to create T-shaped legs, which the wooden leg doesn't have, but the LocTite seems to hold it in place.


Can you spot the toothpick replacement?


The Manchester Country Home now has a a mid century modern dining table that compliments the mid-century living room furniture. I like it. It's a departure from my real life decorating preferences. 


The bum leg doesn't show. 



I think I need new rug, though. This one went nicely with the French Country wood dining table and chairs, but not so much with this more modern look. 



What do you think? Certainly not a bargain for thrift store find. I left a bag behind. There are some other chairs that I'll be able salvage, too, but it certainly was not worth the the money I spent, but, gee, I like this little table.

The Manchester will have a garage, I decided. I ordered this kt from miniatures.com and couldn't wait to get it un boxed. The Houseworks kits are so well made and nicely packaged.



No pictures, though, with the the instructions.


The door and window are already assemble, but the working garage door will require some assembling. 


The dry fit reveals how big the structure really is. The Tesla and vintage Chevy pick-up fit nicely.


But where to put the garage?


The house will live on this 8 ft. table, so I have to decide where the garage will look the best.


It will be a fun project to build. I'm trying to decide what will go in the garage loft. 


We can't help but think in real life terms, so where would a garage logically go? Next the the living room side of the house? That's a long way to have to carry groceries!


Maybe on the other side of the house next to the kitchen. I like it there, but that's where the greenhouse was going to be. 


Looks a bit crowded here.


Nope.


Well, I'm not going to worry about it now. I'll build it first.



And yet another distraction

The Lemon Tree is coming along nicely. What a work intensive project, but a fun one and the tree will look great in the green house when I get it finished.

Taking a break from cleaning, sorting, organizing, and fiddling with a table repair, I worked on my lemon tree. I introduced you to the tutorial that I purchased online to learn how to make tiny trees. Here's the link:  Honey Thistle: Tiny Fruiting Citrus Tree Tutorial

After working with the tutorial, the lemon and orange trees are easily crafted, using readily available tools and supplies. Step by step, I fashioned my own lemon tree. 



Here are the first three branches, the main part of the tree. Lying next to the core tree is the next main branch. I'll make two of them.



These next branches are easily assembled.


Now the main branches of the tree have been combined, shaped, and fixed in place.


I've learned how to use floral tape to hold cover up the glued joints and create a smooth foundation for the next step: a realistic looking trunk.


The tutorial calls for air dry porcelain clay, but the package is very large and expensive, so I substituted this inexpensive air dry clay that I really like. It's a very moist clay that is easily molded.


I've textured the trunk; now I'll let it air dry over night and paint it. I will add the lemons and use glaze on the leaves to make them shiny and more life-like.


I'm so glad that you dropped by. Share your thoughts. I'd like to know what you are thinking. 








6 comments:

  1. Hi Ann! The table is such a great piece and I can see why you'd be tempted to buy the bag. It's not really what is in the bag but the possibilities! My parents had a table and chairs very much like these ones when I was in high school. I had to clean the glass as part of my kitchen chores!

    The Houseworks garage is such a fun structure! You can do so much with it! I am sure you will come up with the perfect arrangement.

    The lemon tree is coming along nicely and looks so realistic! It is always so satisfying to learn a new skill and make a thing yourself. Now you can take the steps you've learned, branch out (lol) and apply them to all the mini trees in your future! I think a hammock strung between two maple trees sounds like a fun addition to your landscape board!

    Have a great and creative week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work on the table repair Ann. Persistence paid off and you got a nice piece. It’s disappointing about the rest of the furniture. The garage looks like a fun project, and I am sure you’ll work out the ideal placement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garage is just happened. I'm trying to avoid buying another large house to do. It should be fun.

      Delete
  3. Your lemon and orange trees are going to be beautiful and well worth all the effort. Shame about the thrift bags but the table worked out great in the end. Enjoy working on the new garage. Happy crafting.
    Beverley (formally meandmysmallcorner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Garage is an afterthought. I'm trying to keep myself from buying another big kit to assemble.

      Delete
  4. I put the first comment there in the wrong place--still. the lemon tree did turn out. I always worry. It is a work intensive project, but the next one will be better--if I do another lemon tree. I'll probably fall for the thrift bag gimmick again if one item looks promising.

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...