Monday, November 5, 2018

The Cranberry Cove

I've been able to spend some long hours on the Cranberry Cove house. I put the primer coat on inside and out; now the the outside is ready for the first coat of paint, but I am going to wait until I have some of the electrical work done incase I have to turn the house on it's side to pound in the eyelets. I still haven't decided how to run the tape. Such decisions!


This will be the living room The flooring is cut and ready to stain. As you can see, I have run the copper tape. This kit has pre-cut to slots insert the tape between floors. Nice as that it is, I am sure if I am going to run the wire that way. I have to figure out to put the power source. 


Promising myself to build the kit as is, I traded out the door. The kit door is a plain six panel door, so I ordered a front door with a oval window. I like to see who is at my front door before I open it. Right now it is in backwards just so that I can get the wall placement correct.



The kitchen will be next to the living room without a door between. I wanted to use up items in my stash, such as the tile floor, but today Lily came and said she preferred a wooden floor. No worries. I have extra flooring. I decided to run the flooring long ways because it fit bettering will give a smoother edge, more finished edge.

So with the excess cut way from the living room, I was able to use it as a wainscoting for the kitchen. I've made wainscoting for other houses out of craft sticks and was never really happy with the look and it is so much work, why not flooring? I'll stain it the same as the floor. 



The kitchen looks pretty bare, so I began to play.



When Hobby Lobby had a close out on their wallpaper and now carry a roll of preselected papers made by Real Good Toys, I bought out all they had because I loved the papers so much. Bargain that the papesr were, I now realize that all of my houses will look the same, but for this little house, I wanted to use up some of the excess that I have gathered--not working out as I planned.

This checkered paper I love, especially with the farm animal border. Lily loves farm animals. She has a bunny, and her sister has 4-H rabbits, the other girls have horses, and they also have hens, and dogs, and a cat. The little girl loves animals.


I texted this paper to Lily's mother to see if Lily liked the paper. She is the youngest of the family and with the influence of older children and her parents she has very mature answers, so I got her answer: "Not really, but it will do." That's our little girl. Honest, straight forward, and easy to please.

I had to agree with her. I had originally planned on putting this paper in the Bellingham Farmhouse and it is just too wild and bold and dark. I may never use it.


She does love the border, so I cut it off. I will paint the walls tan. Lily doesn't like that. She wanted maroon. I don't think so, I told her, we'll paint another wall maroon. 

I want to have the house ready for Christmas, so I have a lot of work to do, along with the rest of life. Tomorrow I'll stain the floors and then I can glue in the wall and place the stairs. 

Before sign off, I'd like to share a link with you. A Denver TV station featured David Nelson, a Denver area dollhouse builder, Sunday night. I got to know him when we visited his mother's dollhouse store in Denver where he built the dollhouses, following in his father's footsteps. In her 80s, his mom decided that after 30 years it was time to close the store. Now he builds houses in his warehouse. I'd like for you to meet David. He's also on Facebook, search for David's Dollhouse, and he also has a website, David's Dollhouse where you can order your favorite things and some new items, too. Now that the store is gone, he travels to miniature shows outside of Denver and Colorado that he announces on his Facebook page, so you can look for him at your local shows. If you check out his FB page you will see his large inventory that he takes with him. 

Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your visits.

3 comments:

  1. It's neat to see the Cranberry progressing, and the oval window front door was a good call! Lighting design and planning is always a challenge, and tapewire + MDF is always a nightmare for me! Sending good wishes for a great outcome!
    The checkerboard pattern as a wallpaper might be a little busy, but have you thought of using it for tile flooring? It would be great in a bathroom or restaurant! The wainscoting with the farm border above is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed with your lovely Lily! Keep going on this project and relaying your grand-daughters feedback. The tile paper will find the right spot soon enough, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll paint maroon. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will follow the progress of your dollhouse with curiosity.Good luck with...

    ReplyDelete

Ordinary Women

 In March we celebrate Women , their accomplishments and place in American History. The Media and other institutions tend to immortalize the...