Wednesday, November 28, 2018

While Glue Dries

Progress continues on the Cranberry Cove. I told Lily when she was here the other day that she couldn't see the house because I want the finished house to be a surprise Christmas Eve. It finally looks like house. I was not too sure about her choice, but it has turned out to be a really cute, easy to build house. Unfortunately, I don't think it was a very popular model because there aren't any finished ones on Pinterest and Real Good Toys has discontinued this model.  None the less, work continues here. Want to take a peak?

Wiring is always such a pain, but I am getting better at it. This connection is for the porch light.



It works! Even with tape to hold it place while the glue dries, it looks cute.


Despite having a lot newspaper on hand, I ordered two sheets from Itsy Bitsy Minis and I should have ordered three because I decided to paper the stair wall, but fell short. The seam does show but will less noticeable since it will be at the back of the stair wall behind the stairs.


The fireplace is already lit, keeping things warm as our winter winds blow. The fireplace is a Hobby Lobby one that came with the San Franciscan kit. I have another fireplace for that house.


Taking wiring to the next floor above has always been a problem for me. I usually take it up over the front edge, but then it shows and requires more connections and hammering brads in awkward places, so in the Bellingham when the connections failed on the second floor, I created a new connection between floors using a left over plug end cut from a light that was hard wired in, so I did the same thing here. To get the connection brads properly placed, I dipped the prongs in an ink pad to place the dots where I would pound in the brads. Now the upstairs lights can be unplugged. 





It works! The lights on the first floor ceiling will be connected here on the second level floor.


The front door will be a tight fit. I actually flipped the placement of the floors which has caused me minor problems. As I looked at the instructions, I realized that the drawings didn't clearly show how assemble the base structure to get the floors placed correctly, so the walls are on the opposite side of the stairs, making fit for the front door very tight. No matter. It works.


Time to dry fit the top floor and the mansard roof.

I have misplaced the instruction booklet, so I called Real Good Toys yesterday to ask if they could--and before I could finish my sentence the sweet voice at the other end said, "I'll email you one right way. And she did.


I like it! Yes the ironing board. I have every flat surface in the basement covered. 


Soon I'll get the nerve to glue the pieces together.


The wall fits. I'll let the glue on the mansard walls harden over night before I put on the final pieces.

In the meantime, the grand kids have asked for new hats and fingerless mittens, so in while the glue dries, I have other things that do. This time of the year I crochet.


This little clutch hat is for Lily. She loves green.


Her older sister Elinore asked for navy and burgundy hat. Someone noticed that these the colors for the Colorado Avalanche. No one in the family are hockey fans, but the colors are pretty.


The final roof piece has now been put in place. The wood buckled when the wet paint soaked in, so I had to weight it down as the glue dried. My brother gave me my dictionary so many years ago. As I put it in place, I wondered just out of date it is. I doubt that the word 'blog' is listed. The other two are literature anthologies, one for American literature one for the Romantic Period. Such great reading.



Lucy requested a new pair of fingerless mittens. They are so easy to make. I can make a pair in an evening as glue dries. I can even remake them when the dog finds them.


This is Brody, our German Short Haired Pointer pup who has a fascination with my yarn and can destroy a Kong. He's advanced to the black one, the one for extreme chewers, as he is still teething. Brody is only 8 months old and still in his puppy stage. I've not yet figured out that I have to put my things away. Fortunately he has not discovered the basement. He sees us go through the door and disappear, but he hasn't tried to follow us and I plan to keep it that way.

As the glue dries outside, the interior work can continue. I have the living room papered, but now I am waiting for new glue to be shipped in. I left the lid off of my container and the glue dried up.


What's next? Watching paint dry. I have a lot of trim for the exterior to paint. 

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments and appreciate very much your visit. 







3 comments:

  1. The construction of the house is moving fast.
    Girls' hats are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the electrics can be so challenging, but I know you'll persevere! Lily is going to be so delighted to have a dollhouse that has lights and will no doubt be the envy of all her friends!
    I admire your incredible skill in crochet and can imagine your delight in seeing family members adorned in your creative work! I'm sure Brody might even appreciate a warm set of socks for cold trips out to potty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By separating the connection between the 2 floors you have made any future problems with the electrics (which occur more often than not) an easier task to handle, which was a Brilliant Idea!
    I also like your ink pad solution regarding the plug-in. Such a simple yet logical method for aligning the holes.
    The entire house is looking cute as a button and I know that your grand-daughter is going to be soooooo happy once she receives it!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...