Friday, December 21, 2018

Bringing the Cranberry Cove Project to an End



It has been a very long day. My main challenge came from my son-in-law who asked me to keep his wife occupied for the day until 4:30 while he prepared the house and meal  to celebrate her birthday with is December 24th and we always celebrate it here, leaving out her in-laws. I realized tonight at dinner just how much they all love her and were so excited to share her birthday. The granddaughters had already started their holiday break, so Jen baked up a batch of sugar cutout cookies, whipped up the frosting, and brought everything over so that we could decorate Christmas cookies. With half the batch frosted they decided to out and play with  Pop the pony, and they helped grandpa clean the barn, the corral, and a do a variety of other things to keep mom busy. They finally headed home around 4, and I had to jump in the shower and get ready for the party. So yes, tonight, I am beat. I should be wrapping packages and putting the final touches on Lily's house, but I'm too tired. I'll write instead. 

While not quite ready the grand reveal, here's a peak at the Cranberry Cove nearly ready to be handed over to its new owner.



It has turned out so cute. I had some challenges installing the roof and the porch railing. I didn't quite follow the direction and when my husband took a second look at the instructions he said that I had glued the railing to the roof wrong. I assembled the porch roof and the railings first with idea of gluing the entire peace in place at the same time, but something was wrong. The pieces didn't fit very well.


You can see that I glue them behind the support beam instead of on top of it. No wonder the unit didn't fit in place. Since I had glued to painted surfaces, the pieces were easily removed after I heated up the joints with heat gun and warmed glue released easily so then I cleaned them up and re glued the porch posts in the proper place. It pays to get a second opinion sometimes.

Window boxes were one of the last projects and a specific request from Lily. I built the first one out of large craft sticks, but decided that I would use balsa wood instead since it was easier to cut and cut straighter. Some craft sticks tend to be crooked and I just like the balsa better


Using a glue gun, I laid a line of hot glue in the bottom of each box and filled them a layer of moss.


I cute apart long stems of small silk flowers and glued them with the hot glue. 


I haven't used any hot glue to affix things, but today I attached the window curtains with hot glue--so much easier than fighting with white glue to get it set.


The window boxes went into place easily and quickly using hot glue.




I haven't created any artwork for the house, hoping that Lily will create her own, but I wanted a photo of Pop for her. I had made this frame and decided to use it. The photo seems out of scale, but Jen thinks that is okay. The second photo is her favorite one of her and Pop. It didn't print out as nicely as I wanted. I have anew printer and these are the first photos that I've printed on it. The color seems off.


I am still working on how to display the Christmas tree.


I've furnished the house with things from my stash. I had bought the white furniture for the Bellingham and decided that I didn't like it and bought leather instead. The fireplace came with San Franciscan and since I have another fireplace for it, I used this one. The little tea set was originally charms that I found in the beading section at Michale's. 


The table is set for Santa with a nice gingerbread man snack. I bought the package of  4 at Hobby Lobby. The mug and saucer I bought last year at Michale's. The roast turkey and chocolate cake, along with all of the furnishings were in my stash purchased from a junk dealer. I made the refrigerator from a Houseworks kit. I think the floor must be unloved because the doors won't stay closed.

There will be more to come on the Cranberry Cove as I finish it up. I'm about out of time, aren't I!


Christmas has come to other houses in the neighborhood. Look at the upstairs patio at the Bellingham, a cardinal has come to visit. (Don't know where he came from since we don't have them in Colorado) The cacti came from a couple of places. The three planted in the little red planter I found at a local antique store, while the others--paper ones--I found at Hobby Lobby in the card making section. There are six in the package. 



Some baking has been going on in the kitchen.


There were four little mugs in the package and 4 gingerbread men in their package.


Another plate of Christmas treats that I found last year at Michale, not so much luck this year.


Lots of baking going in this kitchen, but on so much in mine.


Such a happy little cookie guy. I spent all of my time working on the Cranberry Cove thus I haven't done any real time baking. It'll be a lean, reduced sugar holiday. And that's not so bad. I do love to make gingerbread guys, though. 


Santa has arrived early at the Blue Farm House (now painted pink). He's a cute little guy. I don't remember where I bought him, but I do remember that one of my girls convinced me that I needed him. He's handmade.


Maybe next year if I don't have a big build going, I'll focus on decorating the houses for Christmas. I'd enjoy that. This year I just threw a few things together from craft stash.








Inside while probably out of scale, a Hobby Lobby pink tree reflects the tree in my own living room decorated with pink  and white light and pink, gold, and silver balls. I've done a pink tree for years, long with always buying two pink poinsettias. This one I purchased from Miniatures.com. Yes, there is usually some sort of technology on my coffee table, but not cupcakes.Tomorrow, shopping. Ugh. I'm done with the gift shopping, but I need to grocery shop for the kids' Santa party Sunday and the Christmas Eve. Still too much to do.


Merry Christmas, dear friends. We've had a great year, and I have so enjoyed watching you all build and work and create and then so generously write about you projects, inspiring all of your followers to try new things. I've learned so much from everyone. Thank you for your encouragement and for taking the time to visit and leave sweet and kind comments. 

 I'll see you next year.  Wishing you a Happy New Year, too.

















2 comments:

  1. You've MADE IT!!! Your grand-daughter is going to be THRILLED when she finally receives her very own dollhouse ; every inch which has made with LOVE. It will no doubt become a Treasured Heirloom and definitely a hobby that both of you will continue to enjoy and to share together.
    Merry Christmas Ann and Wishing you all the Very Best in the coming New Year!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cranberry Cove is absolutely precious, and Lily is going to treasure her memories playing with it and you for making it for her! Great work, Ann!
    Wishing you and your family a Very Merry Christmas and the best of what 2019 has in store!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...