Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Mission Accomplished

 Hello. I am waiting for the tree service company to arrive to begin removing 4 trees that were damaged by the bad snow storm at the end of winter, so now seems to be a good time catch you up on the mini project of the week: The Hen Pen. 

But before I begin, I have to share the best Saturday that I've had in long time: a trip to the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls, and Toys. They were having garage sale. Not the best garage sale, but, none the less, a great reason to spend time with my oldest daughter, see some old friends in the business, take a quick gander at my favorite house in the museum's collection, and find a few tiny things to bring home. Most exciting is the museum's announcement that they will sponsor their big miniature how the second week in September. Can hardly wait! 


After the garage sale shopping, we went inside and shopped more in the museum's very tiny gift shop. I had things in my hands both at the garage sale and inside that I didn't bring home. Now I am kicking myself. Most of the garage sale items were vintage items, including items that are no long available anywhere, and the item that I most regret not buying was a set of nesting--or stacking copper mixing bowls. Darn it! And that little baggie if tiny horse figurines. 

I always do that. I don't suffer from buyer's remorse--just the opposite. 😞

I've taken photos of this house before, so this time I took more of the garden. The detail is amazing. You can visit this post Wish List that shows our first trip to the museum, including photos of the house itself.


The house has an impressive garden that has inspired my next project. I have decided to plant a garden for the Bellingham Farmhouse, using this garden as my guide. I will make the plants from polymer and kits, but there are few kits available for vegetables, so I will be pushed to learn how to make more of my own items.



I don't know if I'll have a roadside vegetable stand or not. Still this one is quite impressive.


My farm won't have these spectacular antique farm implements either, but I might find a more modern tractor.  You can't read the signs. One says, "1887 John Deere plow."





I may even build a green house like this one attached to another house.


Last week I chronicled my misadventures in building a solid hen pen. All attempts ended in disaster. My dear friend Barbara in the UK who follows me here kindly offered to shop for netting that would work as fencing and send it to me. I decided to give the tulle one more go to see if I could get it work. Thank you Barb. 💖

Here is the first attempt at fence. The main problem that I had was stabilizing the fence.


Without going through the entire process, I decided to use a round dowel as fencing. I took a second look at our own pen to get a better idea on how to construct this pen. That hepled.


I am satisfied with this pen for the time being. Right now it is not attached to the coop. Once I glue it in place, nothing in the pen will be assessable since I didn't add a gate. I may leave the roof unattached. 

I had one more project inside to finish: the feed storage cans. They are converted coffee creamer containers that I painted with platinum acrylic paint that has a bit of sparkle to replicate the aluminum. The lids are gum ball machine trinket containers. 






I love my calico kitty. I found her at a local garden center where I seemed to have purchased all of my mini cats. 

Last winter a calico cat moved into our barn. My husband began feeding her. She had come from the back of our property where she lived in the ditch culvert, so we knew that she was feral. When I first met her, I told my husband that she was pregnant. He didn't think so. She had two babies and we found homes for them. I vowed to get her fixed, but didn't and then a litter of 4 were born. I made the same vow and failed to follow up and soon two more babies arrived. They were so sweet. One went to a 5 year old little girl and my oldest daughter took the other one. Callie is sweet and loving and gentle and so are her babies. While I don't believe in indiscriminate breeding of cats and dogs, these six babies went to loving homes where they will have a good life. And, No, Callie will not have anymore babies. She will live her life as queen of the barn. 


Super excited to be getting away for few days on a nice, long road trip. Our house keeper will look after the house and the animals within, while a friend will tend to Callie, Pop the Pony, and the hens. Brody will go to the kennel. After the spring that we have had, driving for a day and half to reach our destination-- through mostly grasslands and farmland, we can escape the duties and responsibilities that keep us busy. I wanted to have the hen pen finished before I left so that when I return I can work on the Manchester and hopefully get it finished before summer's end.

Unless I discover a super, amazing, must have large house, the Manchester is my last big build. The garden project that I want to take on for Bellingham will keep my quite occupied. 

Cricut Maker Update: None. I am resolved to rebuild my library of projects even better than before. I can recreate everything that I lost--or not. Technology is not perfect, thus the lesson to SAVE SAVE SAVE and even PRINT. I was told by tech support that my projects were saved in THE CLOUD, but I have yet to found where they might be hiding. When I set up my Maker, I didn't tell it save projects to The Cloud, so I don't know where they would go. Nor do I know where my new projects are currently being saved. Do you? If so, let me know. 

I am rambling now. Have a great week. I'll be keeping up with everyone while I'm gone. 
Thanks for joining me today.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tale of Two Projects: Trials and Tribulations

  Murphy's Law says if anything can go wrong it will, and so it is in dollhouse building. I set out today to get the wallpaper installed...