Monday, September 18, 2023

 I missed last week's post; just too many things to do. Last week-end I attended the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls, and Toys annual miniature show. It's a four day event with classes and speakers and great mini activities, but because my DAR meeting is always the same Saturday as the show, I have no choice but to drive down on Sunday.

Heather was supposed to meet there, but then realized that it was the Denver Broncos/Raiders opener at Mile High and we know where her priorities were that day! Really, Heather?

So Hubby drove me down and while I shopped minis, he spent his time at Cabela's (a hunting, fishing, camping outdoor store). We were both in happy spots. 

I really didn't find a whole lot and some of my favorite suppliers wasn't there, like Dragon Fly International. I love their kits. One favorite had a table full of wonderful miniature, Dave's Miniatures. 

My little stash doesn't seem like a lot, but they do add up. Last year I purchased a 1/48 (a quarter) scale house from Dave, so this year I purchased the furniture kits for the kitchen, bedroom, and dining room, and the bathroom that requires a path--much like the little house my dad moved his family to when I was about 3.
And a tiny basket, some really little birds, and sweet little gnome.


The little house isn't quite finished yet, but it's a cute project and available on Dave Etsy Store. He also makes his own furniture kits. 


Val from San Diego has the most amazing birds that are so, so tiny. I have a bird feeder that they fit on perfectly. The robins with their worms will go in the front yard of the Manchester. While we don't have cardinals here, we do have the red winged black bird which actually is pond bird, but have found its way to our bird feeders and the little gold finch are plentiful at our feeder too. Have yet to see a gnome of any sort in the garden, but he'll be a cute addition to the Manchester garden.


I have great love for butterflies and spent a good amount of time this summer photographing them, so I had to have this little green house to go inside the one that I am building.


So that's what I came home with. It was rather nice to wander around alone. I did have a nice visit with a new person who had his trains with the room box displays. 

He had a long story of how his train exhibit that had been at the Denver Union Station had been "kicked" out of the space when the city remodeled the station. He had a week to remove the display, HO size, I believe, but could only get part of it. He had what he was able to save in a trailer which was stolen. I remember seeing that sad story on the news. They never recovered the vintage train display. His current trains, though, will have a new home at the Denver Doll, Miniature, and Toy Museum--a happy ending to that story. There are always such lovely people at the miniature show and beautiful items to shop for.

The greenhouse is nearly finished. I'm still trying to figure out how to light the structure--maybe I won't. Nothing is glued in place yet, not even the front and back walls or the roof. I'm still playing around with arranging what will on the wall.


I really want a lemon tree for the green house, but borrowed the orange tree from the Mid Century Modern plant room. I may have hone my polymer clay skills and try to make a lemon tree. The Butterfly habitat takes up a lot of room. I'm wondering if I'll leave it there on the workbench. The violets are loving their new home. With the doors closed the green house will be quite humid, which the plants will love.



The Texas Farmhouse will have a large vegetable garden to go with the chicken coop, but this house will have an elegant front yard and posh greenhouse just for exotic plants.


I told my ace gardener and horticulturalist that my palm fern was looking rather sick and she suggest the perhaps it needed some fertilized.


So I ordered some Miracle Grow and potting soils from an online store, hoping the perk up the palm.
(I also purchased a new shade of green acrylic paint to touch up the leaves.😁)


Green houses here are a real luxury and vulnerable to bad weather, especially hail, but think this mini one will do well in the basement. It is becoming one of my favorite projects.



Thanks so much for dropping by. Leave note to just say "hi"; It's always nice hear from visitors.








2 comments:

  1. Always interesting to see what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun kits! I hope you get time now that fall is here to immerse yourself into all the mini projects you've been looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...