Friday, January 29, 2021

Let the Fun Begin

 The sides walls and second floor of the 1998 Duracraft Manchester Country House are glued in. I used regular wood working 36" clamps to hold it together. They run about $30 each, so they are an investment, but you plan to build more than one house, they are easier and clamp more firmly than tape, but I had a really hard time getting the tape to stick to the MFD. I let the glue cure over night. Actually, I should have used 4 clamps.

Next I used an all purpose latex--clean up with water--primer. I had to buy this large can, but I'll use it around the house, too. Cost $11. 

Here's are the common questions about priming wood:

  • Why Prime: To seal the wood (or in this case MFD and to create a smooth surface that will make a good foundation to add wall color and wallpaper.
  • Should I prime before or after I assemble the house? I have done both. I like painting the shell after it is glue together. It's faster. I've done piece by piece and have to spread them out on a large table in the garage (it's winter and too cold now to work out there) and I have to paint one side, let it dry then turn it over and paint. It's just easier to paint the entire assembled shell inside and out.




Next I will add the copper electrical tape while the house is still open. I'll add the 3rd floor and the roof later after I've done more interior work: paint and paper walls, add flooring, and baseboard. At this stage, it is easier to do these things while I can turn the house on its side or front for easier access.

I bought a different painter's tape--that I don't like--. When I removed it from the edition floor, the floor pealed up because it is paper! I wasn't committed to this flooring any way. 


It's just so hard not to play around, so I'm using scrapbook paper to make my wallpaper templates--so much easier with the ceiling removed. Scrapbook paper helps to work out color scheme. I may even use it wallpaper. I've not clued in interior walls yet because I'm still trying to decide where they will be. As I said: just playing.

I've even fashioned faux kitchen cabinets. The photos are not the best. Sorry. In the beginning the addition was destined to be the kitchen, but it has a very nice double window the that seemed to go to waste in a kitchen and I thought I needed more wall space for a kitchen, so I decided to put the living room in the addition with the dining room next then the kitchen on the other side of the stairs.


That floor plan just didn't work. So I went to the original plan and moved the kitchen to the addition, which really does make more sense for the dining room to flow into the kitchen. I cut out the wall (well, hubby did) to create that open space--you know--for large family gatherings. The disadvantage to that is loss of wall space, but  the kitchen will be modern, full of light, and functional. 





In real life, I'm over the plain color pallet for the modern home: essential shades of white--gray--black--ecru. I was watching HGTV Flip or Flop where the designer brought in this beautiful slate blue for the backsplash. Love it! So I'm playing with scrapbook paper again to work out my colors. I cut faux paper cabinets on my Cricut Maker. Still working on them. Fashioned my exhaust hood, but it will have to a rectangular box that will fit between the upper cabinets. I spent days creating my own refrigerate, but it's not very good. I'm looking for a kit online, specifically at Elf Miniatures in the UK where I will also source my stove, (this one is paper) and modern bathroom fixtures. Yes, it takes a while for orders to come from the UK, but have you ordered from online shops in the USA located on the other side of the country? The Denver USPS hub is awful. Sometimes my shipments linger there for weeks--yes weeks before being delivered. COVID. 

Anyway. Elf has wonderful service and authentic looking kits. You can email the company and Elizabeth is quick to reply.

So here is the kitchen assembled in the addition with the large window. Not as much wall space. The stove will be 3" wide, which leaves less room for counter space.



For he center island, I use Julie Warren's instructions, but with modifications. This piece was failure, so I'll build a new one. I don't like the legs either, so. I'll cut my own using 1/16 or even 1/32 bass wood on my Cricut Maker. Stay tuned.

Conversely, here is the kitchen on the opposite side of the house where a living room would naturally go. More wall space, more counter top space, but once I moved the pieces to the addition there was just a better use of space and a more natural movement though the house.


A final comment on planning; making faux pieces out of paper really helps to get a feeing for the space and using scrapbook paper helps visualize color and patterns. 


I don't think I will use such a bold peach for the bedroom. I've been playing with the colors, maybe a teal blue for the walls or stripes. I haven't worked it all out. Definitely using this fabric for the bedding. I'll be building a modern 4-poster bed, too. 


This will be my 3rd big farmhouse from a kit. I have learned so many things and grown so much over the years since I built my first kit, the Ballet Studio. I can now make some of my own furniture, but I prefer to use kits, but the cupboards will be truly custom By Me, especially since I purchased my Cricut Maker--truly a wonderful addition to my workshop. 

Next to come will be the electrical. I've purchased two kits from Bindles in the Netherlands, another fine company to order from if you want to make your own lighting, so the next few days, I'll be assembling my two chandeliers kits. I'm also going to use Cricut-Kit Concept's quick connect adapters to attach the chandeliers to the electrical tape. Stay tuned for that tutorial.

So I'm off and running. It's still winter and cold. We are still social distancing. I have had my first COVID vaccine--no side effects other than a sore arm at the injection site. I'm scheduled to get the second shot Feb. 9; still I'll be social distancing a a couple of weeks for the shot to take effect, so I have plenty of time on my hands until the weather warms and it's time get my hands in the soil. 

I am very excited for this house. One problem I faced before I even took it out of the box was how to make it different from other two large farmhouses. I tend toward the traditional, 19th century furniture, the rustic farmhouse, but I've 3 houses that are just that, Victorian and traditional. The Texas Farmhouse, the Bellingham, is a little more modern, but this house will the departure for me: a more modern, clean, less cluttered house. It'll be fun.

Thanks for visiting. Stay Tuned. 

4 comments:

  1. This looks sooooo promising. Great decisions and tweaks made. I too am a HUGE Elf fan. I haven't had a house yet without Elizabeth's work in it. It is almost every room in my current house. Daltonhouse.blogspot.com if you want to take a look. You probably already know but worth mentioning if you don't that Elizabeth will custom make and/or tweak her kits to any design you send her. Again, She has done this for my house. I love doing kits to make stuff my own and get exactly what I want....like replicas of Ikea furniture for example or a Georgian linen cupboard for a housekeepers room BUT I don't want to have to cut out the wood and figure out all the measurements allowing for joins etc. You mentioned cooker hood... I have one of hers again. Lots of joy building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your encouragement. I'm headed to the Dalton House right now. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful home. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made great progress! I agree that having the right tools is really important. When I was building my Peachstone Cottage, I primed the pieces before assembly. Unfortunately, I got a little warpage which made assembly challenging. Now I assemble first. I love how you are "playing" with different arrangements. It's coming along really well!

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...