Sunday, January 21, 2024

Roofing: Project Nears Completion

According to last week's weather reports, most of the mid-section of the USA and the eastern seaboard suffered unusually cold and snow. Here in Northern Colorado, we were cold, too, and received less than two inches of snow, which by the way lingers. I'm not an outdoor winter person anymore, so I retreated to my basement workshop last week with one goal in mind: roof the Manchester Country Home! 


 

If you have followed the saga of this miserable roof project,  you know the challenges that I've had. The mish-mash of guide lines tells the sad story of my inability to get the roof right. My first attempt on the left shows my failed faux metal roof look. I just didn't like the looks and then I tried the shake shingle look and had a lot of trouble getting them straight and removed them. 

 


So now with a clean slate, I ordered speed shingles for Greenleaf Dollhouse supplies. I've used the before on the Bellingham Texas Farmhouse, so I thought they would be a good alternative. 



I began by making templates of each roof section to assure a more accurate cut of the angles on the roof, taping each row in place with masking tape. The shingles line up off set with the above row barreling covering the slit in the bottom row. 


The shingles line up fast and neat.


Next, I trim off the inside edge that butt up against the peaked roof. I trim the straight edge slightly and will finish trimming once the shingles are permanently placed.

  


Now I attach each row one at a time with tape, lift the shingle, and run a bead of hot glue then press the shingle in place and remove the tape and add the next row.


  

Wow. The first elevation is finished--well almost. I had already added the roof moulding so I will have to creatively finish the top edges. Ideally, the speed shingles will be place all the way to the peak of the roof and trimmed to fit then covered with trim, but my roof moulding is already in place, as well as some of the edge trimming. 



Now the right elevation has shingles in place on the template.


The shingles line up so easily with out having to mark lines. That was one of my problems--I could never get the lines straight. 


Another finished roof.
Felling pretty good now. I can do this!


I am quite pleased with the work because cutting the angled ends and getting each strip of shingles correctly place does required concentration.


The front pitched elevations are particularly troublesome, but I followed my plan: place on the template, trim the inside seam and then the out side edge after the shingles are in place.


  
My worst fear: an offset lineup. I will share with you next time how I fix this problem. Once again, don't add any roof trim until after the shingles are in place. The same holds true for the trim work on the edge of the roofs. It's much easier to get a clean line when you trim the shingles to size before the decorative trim has been added. 



This side lined up much better.


To finish the roof with the moulding already place, I will cut down the shingle strip


And add some gingerbread to give a finished look.


Once all the shingles are in place,  I have to decide how to finish them: stain? or paint? I've had in mind all along that this house house will have a gray roof.



So there you have it. For the most part the Manchester has a roof--except for the wretched addition.


This roof should be easy. Ha. I had to try my hand at kit bashing and added a sky light window. 


I'll have to do some fancy trimming to get the shingles placed properly.


I do have a template, but I'm going to add each shingle one layer at a time, trimming as I go.🤞


So. There you have it. The back side still needs shingles, but I had to order another package and I'll have enough to do the garage. In total I purchased 4 packs of shingles at about $15 each--but then I don't have buy a ski-pass, so I'm good. 

Thanks for joining me. 

Have a fine week. 

Fondly, Ann


Purchase your speed shingles here: Greenleaf Dollhouse Dollhouses



 

9 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Ann! You have found a method that works amazingly for you and the roof looks beautiful!!! For future roofs, I bet you could even create and cut your own speed shingles with the Cricut Maker! It must feel great to finally have overcome this giant pain in the tush, and to have it come out so great looking! Good luck with the addition and the garage. In no time you'll be on to more fulfilling things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that: I've been playing with creating speed shingles on the Cricut! Thanks for your support; it means a lot. How's mom? Better, I hope.

      Delete
    2. Mom is feeling pretty good and her surgery went fast and easy. We should know the stage and treatment plan within the next week or so. I have often thought of using the Maker to make shingles, but then I see my drawers full of wood shingles from kits that I didn't use them on. I guess ultimately I don't want to waste them and eventually I want my drawer back for other things, lol. I'll watch with interest tho as you share what you come up with!

      Delete
  2. Very fiddly, but you like a challenge, and it looks very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must feel great to be finally finished Ann! And it looks great. Soon you will look back at your beautiful house and feel a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete

Houseworks, LTD Garage Kit, a Perfect Fit

It's late April and we are supposed to be doing spring garden clean up, cutting back last year's canes on the roses, hacking away at...